set userid scripts

From: Chantelle Keller <ckeller_at_ithaca.edu>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 1996 16:44:10 -0400 (EDT)

Hi everyone -

I know I am probably missing something obvious here, but...

I am trying to run a perl script under DU 3.2 as setuid root, so that it can
read data from a protected file. Permissions on the data file are as follows:
   -rw------- 1 root webadmin 111 Jan 25 11:14 test.dat

To make the script setuid, I did: chmod u+s test.pl (I also tried chmod 4755).
The listing on the script looks as follows:
   -rwsr-xr-x 1 root webadmin 1041 Jan 25 16:08 test.pl

Now, as a regular user, I run test.pl, but I get the message that I cannot
open the file! My script is, at this point, even printing out the real &
effective user id's, and the effective user id is definitely not being set to
root. If I set permissions on the data file wide open, the script works fine.

One thing I noticed, which may or may not have any significance, is that every
time I edit the script, the setuid bit gets wiped out and I have to reset it.

Can anyone see what I might be doing wrong here?

TIA,
Chantelle Keller
Systems Programmer, Ithaca College
ckeller_at_ithaca.edu