No Ethernet Devices

From: Gernot M. Fuchs <gfuchs_at_golay.med.unc.edu>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 1996 11:02:55 -0500

Hello,

I'm sorry if this is kind of a stupid question, but I'm quite puzzled by the
fact, that I have no ethernet devices on any of my Alphas.

I ran into this problem, when installing a software (UAR) that wanted to open
my network interface on an Alpha Server 2100 running dUNIX 3.2c. The cmd
"netstat -i" told me, that my configured interface is tu0. However, there is no
such special device file /dev/tu0. To make sure I double checked this on some
of my other UNIX machines, like SGI or SUN, and all of the show the appropriate
special device file in /dev.

Can you tell me, why I'm missing these files under DU and how to get them?
MAKEDEV doesn't seem to know these devices either.

Thanx in advance...

-Gernot

--
Gernot M. Fuchs                     University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
voice: 919-966-3263                 UNC Hospitals/School of Medicine