SUMMARY - memory errors when allocating huge arrays

From: <mclaughl_at_nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 96 08:18:32 -0500

DU Managers,

 Once again the list has come through with a timely and
 accurate response. My original post asked why, when
 using IDL, we get lack of memory errors when allocating
 huge arrays (even though they should fit in memory).

 I only got one response but it solved the problem. Many
 thanks to Patrick O'Brien (pobrien_at_draco.harvard.edu) who
 had this solution:

> I would try raising
>
> max-per-proc-data-size
> max-per-proc-address-space
> max-per-proc-stack-size
>

> You would do that as follows: Create a stanza file (a file in the following
> format) for the proc subsystem.
>

> proc:
> max-per-proc-data-size=your_new_value
> max-per-proc-address-space=your_new_value
> max-per-proc-stack-size=your_new_value
>
> Then execute
>
> sysconfigdb -a -f your_stanza_file proc
>
> The man pages on sysconfig(8) and sysconfigdb(8) are pretty helpful.

Regards,
Steve McLaughlin
mclaughl_at_nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov