tar command usage

From: Christophe Prevotaux <nighty_at_fire.ebc.net>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 1996 14:25:00 +0100 (GMT+0100)

I have a small problem more due I think to my lack of understanding of the
man pages than to anything technical

I want to to make a partial backup using the tar command to a tape

like this : tar -e /proc -e /tmp /usr /var etc

That is I want to exclude part of my file system and include others
but every time I use this syntax it backs up ok... but it includes
the directories I asked it to exclude.... why ?

I am sure this is a syntax problem or this is maybe valid only for files
and not directories ?

if it is the case what can I use to backup only the directory ( including
subdirectories) that I need?
Christophe Prevotaux     |        EBCnet, Reims, France
IRC: nighty              |     Internet Services Provider
Email: nighty_at_ebc.net    |      Champagne-Ardenne Region
 Sysadmin EBCnet/Internet Systems Engineer |  Unix ? What is it ?
       == My opinions do not reflect those of my employer ==