SUMMARY: ZLX-M1/2 opinions?

From: Gyula Szokoly <szgyula_at_skysrv.Pha.Jhu.EDU>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 1996 15:40:05 -0500 (EST)

> I have a 3000/600, with a PXG+ card running OSF/1 v3.0b.
> I am constantly having problems (wm freezes), and as
> far as I know, the support for the card will be dropped
> in version 4.0 (coming soon). I checked the pricing,
> and apparently there is a quite good deal for the upgrade.
> The questions:
>
> 1. What's the difference between the -M1 and -M2? I know
> what the tech difference is, but what does it imply
> in performance? Factor of 2? Factor of 1.5?

  No answer on this one. One thing though: the ZLX-M1 takes up
2 slots, the ZLX-M2 takes 3. Since I have an extra SCSI card, the -M2
is out of queestion (I have a 3000/600 with 3 slots).

> 2. Will this work with AVS? (That's the main reason for
> buying accelerated card.)

  No answer on this either, but it works for us (we went ahead with the
upgrade).

> 3. Does it work? I don't want to spend $4k to get stuck with
> the same problem (wm freezes twice a day).

  So far (about a month of not too heavy use) we did not have any window
manager freezes. With the PXG+, a few clicks with netscape always killed
it. Also: the eco14 release of the Open3D update lessens the problem with
PXG+ (I can't say it solves it, since we had the patch for a week or so,
but it can be the ultimate solution for this problem).

> 4. Will it be supported for at least 2 more years? Dropping
> the PXG+ support was unexpected.

  No official answer on this either. I got hints from inside Dec that
the ZLX-M* will be supported for a longer time than the PXG, since it exists
for booth turbochannel *and* PCI.
  The upgrade costs roughly the list price difference of the PXG+ and
the ZLX-M1, which is not a very bad deal.

Thanks to:
huhman_at_ee.deere.com
Knut.Hellebo_at_nho.hydro.com
eshowalt_at_mercury.jlfrench.com