[Q] Extending Metadata

From: UW-Platteville Gopher and WWW Admin. <GOPHERADMIN_at_uwplatt.edu>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 1996 11:19:12 -0600 (CST)

Our news spool hit that point when (I beleive) we ran out of metadata. News
says the drive is full, but there is spaceleft.

So I got the comet article that explains the new fileswitch, and how to extend
that metadata.

However, when I look at my logs, it appears that I have over 610000 news
messages. Daily news report: Articles retained 611330.

Questions:
1. Is there any way to do this live, or do I need to erase the drives and
start new?

2. Would a sufficient way of doing this is throttle the news server, set the
expire to like warp 100 and erase all the news, and then back it up?

3. What should I use for the number of pages?

--Brett M. Thorson
  Administrator for the machines my boss doesn't administrate.