SUMMARY - Connecting a modem on a 2100 standalone

From: Bob.Capps <Bob.Capps_at_pscmail.ps.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 1996 12:27:00 -0600

Thanks to the following folks who responded with information.

Dale Blasingame daleb_at_msdc.com
Jim Neeland neeland_at_madmax.hrl.hac.com
Henning Fruechtenicht fruechtenicht_at_rz.fh-wilhelmshaven.de
Tom Barkanic tb_at_eci-cec.com

Between the information provided and a few calls to DEC, we are happily
communicating. Two very important points from this experience:

  1) ALWAYS TEST YOUR CABLE!
  2) CHANGE THOSE DEFAULT MODEM DIP SWITCH SETTINGS FOR HAYES MODEMS!

To lay out the solution, we swapped cables and changed the dip switch to
turn
DTR Override OFF. This made the USR Sportster light up a happy TR light
when we
did a "tip modem" or even a getty through inittab. After that, it was
flipping
switches and getting the user login just right. Currently, the DIP switch
setting is UUDUUUUD, which means

        1 U Turns off DTR Override
        2 U Verbal results
        3 D Enables result codes
        4 U Displays keyboard commands
        5 U Enables Auto Answer on first ring or value in S0
        6 U Turns off Carrier Detect Override
        7 U Loads user define profile at power-on
        8 D Enables AT Command set recognition

Thanks!
Here is the original message:
===
===
I've gone back through the summaries on this group and tried to apply the
suggested actions for modems and Alphas, but still no success. I am trying
attach a 28.8 modem off of the back of an Alpha cabinet to COM2 (the top COM

port according to the Owner's Guide p.1-35). The Alpha is running DU 3.2C
and
the modem is a Best Data 28.8 (I've also tried a USRobotics Sportster 28.8
right
out of the box).

I've mv'd /dev/tty00 and /dev/tty01 to /dev/ttyd0 and /dev/ttyd1. The file
results are:

/dev/ttyd0: character special (35/0) ACE_SLU #0 terminal #0 modem_control
off
/dev/ttyd1: character special (35/1) ACE_SLU #0 terminal #1 modem_control on

Here are the relevant lines in the various files:

/etc/inittab:
u1:23:respawn:/usr/sbin/getty -h ttyd1 M19200 vt100

(I was trying -h to see if it would hold on to the line. See the tip
attempt
below. I've also tried uugetty.)

/etc/gettydefs:
19200# B19200 HUPCL CS8 CLOCAL # B19200 SANE IXANY TAB3 CLOCAL #login: #9600

M19200# B19200 HUPCL CS8 # B19200 SANE IXANY TAB3 HUPCL #login: #M9600

38400# B38400 HUPCL CS8 CLOCAL # B38400 SANE IXANY TAB3 CLOCAL #login:
#19200

M38400# B38400 HUPCL CS8 # B38400 SANE IXANY TAB3 HUPCL #login: #M19200

7bit.19200# B19200 HUPCL CS7 CLOCAL # B19200 SANE PARENB CS7 ISTRIP IXANY
TAB3 CLOCAL #login: #7bit.9600

7bit.M19200# B19200 HUPCL CS7 # B19200 SANE PARENB CS7 ISTRIP IXANY TAB3
HUPCL #login: #7bit.M9600

7bit.38400# B38400 HUPCL CS7 CLOCAL # B38400 SANE PARENB CS7 ISTRIP IXANY
TAB3 CLOCAL #login: #7bit.19200

7bit.M38400# B38400 HUPCL CS7 # B38400 SANE PARENB CS7 ISTRIP IXANY TAB3
HUPCL #login: #7bit.M19200

/etc/remote
modem:dv=/dev/ttyd1:br#19200:pa=none:

This is currently what is happening:

# tip modem
connected

Lost carrier.
[EOT]
#

So, I tried commenting the getty out of the inittab to see if I could reach
the
modem directly. This time, when I tried "tip modem" and tried to enter any
characters, it hung on me.

Curious, though, the Best Data 28.8 when plugged in, shows the TR light,
while
the USR Sportster shows the CS light.

Any hints?
===
===

And here are the responses:
===
===
daleb_at_msdc.com wrote:
I've just finished setting up a 14.4 Sportster on an AXP 3000/300 running DU

v3.2C, which is not the hardware you're using; but I thought I'd share my
experiences.

The problems I encountered were caused by modem configuration, specifically
hardware flow control and error correction. With the following entry in
/etc/inittab:

din0:23:respawn:/usr/sbin/getty tty00 dialin vt100

and this one in /etc/gettydefs:

dialin# B19200 HUPCL CS8 # B19200 SANE IXANY TAB3 HUPCL CS8 # login:
#dialin

I had no problem getting the modem to pick the phone, but I got either
nothing
or nothing but garbage (not speed or parity mismatch kind of garbage) when
I pressed a key. I checked the port with a dumb terminal: getty was putting
login prompt up and the port was usable. I connected the sportster to a
terminal (I don't have any UUCP stuff configured on the 3000) and programmed
it
to enable RTS/CTS flow control (AT&H1) and things improved markedly!

On the AXP 3000/300, tty00 is the only serial port with modem control. If
your
sportster is not showing TR I would suspect getty is not running or, at
least,
not running correctly.

Also, be sure your modem has result codes disabled (ATQ1 on the sportster),
or
the modem responses will confuse getty and fowl things up (I _always_ forget

that!).

If you're using the modem for dialin AND dialout, you'll want to use uugetty.
haven't used my modem to dialout.....

Hope this helps.

--
Dale Blasingame                                       daleb_at_msdc.com Systems
Administrator/Programmer                    voice:   770/984-9550 Medical

But we'll keep trying.
===
===
neeland_at_madmax.hrl.hac.com wrote:
While I can't offer any suggestions on fixing your modem access problem,
I would suggest getting and using Kermit to test & do dialout.  It seems to
know
pretty well how to set up the port, including setting speed, etc.  I have
found
it a very useful tool on every platform, from PC to Unix system.
Jim Neeland
neeland_at_madmax.hrl.hac.com
===
Comments:  I would like to get Kermit.  It sounds like a good toolkit
accessory.
===
===
fruechtenicht_at_rz.fh-wilhelmshaven.de wrote:
Hi Bob,
>   I've mv'd /dev/tty00 and /dev/tty01 to /dev/ttyd0 and /dev/ttyd1.  The
You
should use uucpsetup instead. It creates spooling directories and other
needed
entries rather than only renaming the devices.

> Here are the relevant lines in the various files: >
> /etc/inittab:
>    u1:23:respawn:/usr/sbin/getty -h ttyd1 M19200 vt100
that's ok, but You may use 38400 as maximum speed on the serial line
There is a "holy bible of modem configuration" on the web. Did You have a
look
at Celeste's Modem Tutorial? http://www.stokely.com/stokely/ . There is a
lot
of SUN related stuff but also tons of good information.
I didn't succeed in configuring a ZyXEL Elite 2864 ID using getty/uugetty.
So
I tried out (and succeeded) mgetty 0.99 modem and FAX software (You can find
it via archie or on Linux CDs). Compiling and linking is a little tricky,
but
it works well. I can send You my makefile if You want to try mgetty.
Bye,
Henning
Henning
Fruechtenicht                  fruechtenicht_at_rz.fh-wilhelmshaven.de
Rechenzentrum                          Tel.: +49 4421 985323
FH Wilhelmshaven                       Fax.: +49 4421 81950
Friedrich-Paffrath-Str. 101
D-26389 Wilhelmshaven
===
Comments:  Please send the mgetty makefile.
Additional Comments:  I had seen the Modem Tutorial but since it was mostly
for
Sun, I opted not to wade too deeply there.  Maybe, I should go back and lose
few hours there ;-).
===
===
tb_at_eci-cec.com wrote:
I had the same problem and called DEC. They told me that this is a known
problem, with no fix, and that you can't tip to a port while getty or
uugetty
is running on that port.
Also, I got some information from USRobotics off their web site on
configuring
the Sportster for a UNIX system.
--
Tom Barkanic
E-Systems, ECI Division
St. Petersburg, FL
mailto:tb_at_eci-cec.com
===
Comments:  I quickly visited the USR FTP site, where there is obscure
organization, but just be sure to hit all the read-me's and indicies.  The
dir
structure is the same for their BBS, so you need some maps to get around.
The
tip/getty conflict was given to me as well by DEC.  Although I didn't hear
the
same about uugetty.  I'm curious as to whether or not mgetty (mentioned
above)
gets around that or if the problem is deeper in the kernel.  The Sportster
config file for UNIX was very helpful.
===
===
Thanks again to the responders!  What a great list!
Bob Capps
bob.capps_at_ps.net