SUMMARY: Printing multiple copies

From: <phjessen_at_bk.dk>
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 96 08:50:43 +0100

Hi Alpha managers,

This is not the entire summary, but it is as far as I can get at the present
stage. The problem was related to printing multiple copies to network printers.

My original question:
----------------------
I'm trying to get one or more printers spooled via our AXP server to print
more than just one copy. This is the syntax associated with the "lp" command:

 lp [-cmsw] [-d printer] [-n copies] [-t title] [file ...]

Including the "-n" parameter followed by a numeric number of for example "3"
still does not spool more than one copy to the printer. Why not?

Well, it turned out that the spooling program on the AXP server was doing
exactly what it should do. It generated the number of copies chosen, but they
never came out of the printer. This can be verified by looking at the control
files in the spool queue.

The problem is associated with the built-in network card of the printer. We
use network cards which support multiple protocols (TCP/IP, SPX/IPX, Netbeui,
DLC, DEC-LAT, Ethertalk etc). Our local Digital support center confirmed that
they knew of such problems.

We discovered that PCs on our Lan Manager network had no trouble printing
multiple copies to the same network printer in question. However, the protocol
is different and the print data is sent at a slower rate.

If the printer is attached to a serial port on the AXP server, it certainly
prints multiple copies!

So we haven't quite solved the problem, but we have left it to be solved by the
manufacturer of the printer network card. I hope they have fun ...

Thanks to the following for their input:

Daniel Clar <Daniel.Clar_at_supelec.fr>
Ron Barrett <barrettr_at_u2.corp.cubic.com>
Hellebo Knut <Knut.Hellebo_at_nho.hydro.com>
Gernot M. Fuchs <gfuchs_at_golay.med.unc.edu>

Best regards

Paul Hostrup-Jessen

Department of Electronic Data Processing
Unix system administration

Bruel & Kjaer A/S
DK-2850 Naerum
DENMARK

email: phjessen_at_bk.dk

tel. : +45 45 80 78 55 + 2433 (direct dial from touch-tone telephones)
fax : +45 42 80 14 05