problem with PMAGB-EA video and ver. 3.2C

From: Bryan G. Peterson <peterson_at_astro.byu.edu>
Date: Sun Mar 3 02:30:33 1996

I have a DEC 3000/300L that was purchased with a PMAGB-EA video adapter
that came without much documentation (it was a demo model). It has been
running OFS/1 version 2.0 for a year or so and I decided to bite the
bullet and bring it to 3.2C because of some quirks in the windows. Everything
went smoothly until I tried to reboot the new kernel - crash and burn.
HOWEVER, all was not lost - after several tries and watching carefully I
was able to just rename the script to start xdm and the system runs fine -
just now DECwindows on the console screen. It appears that the problem may
be with the video adapter (it is a turbochannel device). The notes for
the firmware upgrade don't mention this specific adapter (it does have
a PMAGB-BA but not the PMAGB-EA) and the SHOW command in the Turbochannel
upgrade utility doesn't recognize what is there in slot 1. There is mention
of moving the jumper on the turbochannel board to allow updates but since I
don't have any documentation on that option I don't know which jumper to
move (if there is one). There are 4 jumpers on the board at the rear near
the output connector - two are open and two are closed but there is no hint
of what they do.

So, I actually have two questions:

1. Is a PMAGB-EA adapter supposed to work with 3.2C (can't find much about
it anywhere).

2. Is there firmware upgrade I should put on from a previous disk set or
is it really a PMAGB-BA and I just need to find the magic jumper and upgrade
it?

Any hints or pointers would be greatly appreciated (the user is going to be
out of town next week but the quicker I can get the computer back up the better
off we will all be).

Thanks,

Bryan Peterson
peterson_at_physc1.byu.edu