SUMMARY: deferred swap method fails in single user mode...

From: Diane Ibaraki <diane_at_uhheph.phys.hawaii.edu>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 1996 09:16:38 -1000 (HST)

Thanks to Dr. Tom Blinn, <tpb_at_zk3.dec.com> for a quick
answer. My original posting is at the end:

I searched the archives, I read the release notes but I didn't read the
man pages... sorry about that. FYI, I found that if I go to single user
mode with the 'init s' command, swap space is there but if I boot single
user mode from the console mode, it is not. Also, bcheckrc won't add the
swap partition either. The explanation was giving by Dr. Tom Blinn:

Not a bug. Exactly how it's supposed to work. Read the swapon(8) man page.

Until you run a swapon -a, you don't get access to the swap partitions that
are defined in /etc/fstab (unless you do an explicit swapon for one of them
or whatever), unless you've got the /sbin/swapdefault link in place; if the
link is present, the kernel will activate the named partition as soon as it
can do so during the bootstrap process. Otherwise, you have no swap set up
until the swapon -a gets executed during the init processing.

Tom