SUMMARY: Adobe Acrobat Reader ?

From: Ian Thurlbeck <ian_at_stams.strath.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 1996 13:10:32 +0000

I asked:

> Hi
>
> anyone know of a DU version of Acrobat reader, or of any other
> application that can read PDF files ??
>
> Many thanks
>
> Ian

Thanks for all the responses (see below).

Basically, there are three options.

1) xpdf by Derek B. Noonburg, at

http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/usr/dn0o/xpdf/xpdf.html

It displays PDF files OK, but has problems with rotated text and you
can't print (although PostScript output is planned, as are fixes
for the other problems).

2) Aladdin GhostScript 3.51 onwards (and possibly earlier) has PDF
support, including a pdf2ps script.

The pdf2ps script in 3.51 wasn't giving the correct output, so I
compiled 3.53 which gave better results. I converted a 6 page PDF
document to PostScript (sizes went from 288K to 2.9M !!) and
could discern no differences in the resulting printed copies (apart
from the ones caused by acrobat reader printing to Letter page size
by default).

3) Use freeport express to translate the SunOS binary - one person
claims to have suceeded with this (Claes Sandgren
<csa_at_loke.soo.dec.com>).

None of these is perfect, pdf2ps still has problems with some
PDF files and takes flipping ages. xpdf looks good if work
continues on it.

Thanks again to all who responded.

Ian

Mike Austin <maustin_at_mole.uvm.edu>
Angel Li <angel_at_flipper.rsmas.miami.edu>
Albert De Knuydt <Bert.Deknuydt_at_esat.kuleuven.ac.be>
Ezra Peisach <epeisach_at_MIT.EDU>
Rick Muse <m6u_at_oaunx1.ctd.ornl.gov>
Anthony D'Atri <aad_at_nwnet.net>
Sean Watson <swatson_at_tuolumne.lib.csubak.edu>
Claes Sandgren <csa_at_loke.soo.dec.com>
Yizhong Zhou <zhou_at_bashful.cs.usm.maine.edu>
Jon Reeves <reeves_at_zk3.dec.com>
Viertola Harri <ray_at_ele.tut.fi>
Johannes Grosen <grosen_at_dilbert.cc.ndsu.nodak.edu>
Peter Stern <peter_at_wiscpa.weizmann.ac.il>
Eric <ERIC_at_UOFT02.UTOLEDO.EDU>
Jerry Hudgins <hudgins_jc_at_corning.com>
Andrew Leahy <A.Leahy_at_st.nepean.uws.edu.au>
Jari Tavi <jpt_at_namix.ENET.dec.com>
Daniel.Clar_at_supelec.fr (Daniel Clar)