USR modems & DECSERVER 700

From: p.g.key_at_bham.ac.uk <P.G.Key_at_bham.ac.uk>
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 1996 16:39:45 GMT

Hello managers,

I have a 'USR Total Control' modem rack equipped with 6 dual V.34 modems.
Six of these are connected to a Decserver 700 terminal server and I have
written a winsock script to dial in from a PC+modem using Slip. All this
works fine but I am having a problem with the USR couriers resetting
themselves after the remote modem disconnects. I have checked out the
terminal server & it is behaving OK regarding the drop signals etc. I am
trying to talk to the modems via the terminal server i.e. 'going the other
way'. I have enabled a telnet listener on port 1 (2001) and then do :

Local>telnet ip.address.of.terminal_server 2001

and the cursor sits there blinking with no prompt. I try to enter an AT
command but the terminal server logs me out of the telnet session. I have
'AUTOBAUD DISABLED' and have tried different combinations of input & output
speeds but still can't get the modems attention.

Does anyone know how to telnet to USR couriers via a terminal server and
even the configuration for the modems to send out the correct signals on a
dropped connection etc? Also what speeds do I need to set the terminal
server port to to talk to the modem?

Any help much appreciated

Paul