SUMMARY: networker compression-Hardware or software?

From: Sheila Hollenbaugh <shollen_at_valhalla.cs.wright.edu>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 1996 13:04:23 -0500 (EST)

The original query

>We recently upgraded out TZ867 jukebox to a TZ877N, which provides
>hardware compression. Up to now, we have been using the compression
>which is provided in software with Networker/NSR. Now we are
>continuing to use the software compression plus have the hardware
>compression turned on as well. We are seeing a significant increase
>in capacity, but are wondering if we should turn the software
>compression off and let the hardware do the job. Has anyone
>experimented with this or seen any literature on the subject?
>If it matters, we are running OSF 3.2C with Networker 3.1A.

The concensus is that one type of compression is enough, and, except in
the case where network bandwidth is of great concer, the hardware
compression is the one to use.

Thanks once again for the great response provided by this list!!!

And thanks to:

trulsonj_at_mscd.edu
guldan_at_ulxsup.bjo.dec.com
alan_at_nabeth.cxo.dec.com