SUMMARY:Printing on remote HP4M+

From: <pat_at_krl.caltech.edu>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 1996 11:25:08 -0800 (PST)

Here is the original question:

> Hi,
> I KNOW this has showed up a few times before. I archived
> a summary from earlier but the solution didn't work for me. I have
> configured the LJ on the net properly. I know this because I can open
> TCP port 9100 on the printer and cat a file to it and the file prints.
> Here is what I tried:
>
> in /etc/services:
>
> hprint 9100/tcp
>
> in /etc/printcap
>
>lp|HP4M|HP LaserJet in 04:\
> :lp=_at_miner/hprint:\
> :sd=/usr/spool/lpd:\
> :if=/usr/lib/lpdfilters/ln03rof:\
> :of=/usr/lib/lpdfilters/ln03rof:\
> :db#1:\
> :sh:\
> :mc#20:\
> :mx#0:\
> :pl#66:\
> :pw#80:\
> :uv=4.0:\
> :ct=tcp:\
> :fc=0177777:\
> :fs=0000040:\
>
> The nodename is "miner" and it responds to that. When I try to use
> lpr the command executes. I then do an lpq which shows the job, but
> then hangs. I hit ^c and I can lprm the result, but an additional
> lpd has started by that time. Thanks in advance.
>
> -pat huber, krl caltech

        Here is what I got from R. Muse which helped:

**************RESPONSE BEGINS****************************
From: Rick Muse <m6u_at_oaunx1.ctd.ornl.gov>
To: pat_at_krl.caltech.edu
Subject: Re: HP LaserJet 4M plus on the network

Pat,

This is the printcap entry for a 4M that I did:

# c74 is a HP Laserjet 4M Postscript printer located in...
# The IP address is ...
# The ethernet/MAC address is ...
c74|lp12|12|HP Laserjet 4M Postscript printer located in...:\
        :af=/var/adm/lpd12.acct:\
        :lf=/var/adm/lpd12-err:\
        :lp=:\
        :rm=PRINTER:\
        :rp=text:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd12:

I modified what you sent to look like this:
# c74 is a HP Laserjet 4M Postscript
# The IP address is ...
# The ethernet/MAC address is ...
lp|HP4M|HP LaserJet in 04:\
        :lf=/var/adm/lpd-err:\
        :lp=:\
        :rm=miner:\
        :rp=text:\
        :sd=/usr/spool/lpd:\

I removed the "af" entry and modified the "lf" entry. Make sure that the
printer's name is in the local hosts table. Soemthing like:
        xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx miner.krl.caltech.edu miner

The file /var/adm/lpd-err should look like this:
-rw-r--r-- 1 daemon daemon 0 Mar 14 11:10 lpd-err

With any luck, you can cut and paste and have a printer on-line. Good luck.

Rick Muse

On my printer I needed an additional queue to print postscript. The printcap
entry differs in that ":rp=hpstream\" is substituted. We were unable to get one
queue to handle every file because "pr=raw" would only print the first page and
rp=hpstream seems to defeat any filtering. We've goofed around with various
work-arounds which are unsatifying. If anyone has gotten their HP4M+ to work OK
with only one queue it would be nice, but not crucial. -pat huber