Files becoming corrupted

From: S. Grant <grant_at_sunshine.psc.edu>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 1996 12:42:20 -0500

We have a couple of Alpha's that have done this, a 3000 and an axp150.

The /tcb/files/auth/r/root file becomes overwritten.

Once it was a script that is set to run 5 minutes after bootup, all of its stdout
messages were caught in the file.

This morning it was part of a config file.

These machines never did this before the upgrade (I went from OSF V3.2[a?] to
V3.2B).

Has anyone else seen this behavior?

Someone had suggested that perhaps init is not carefully freeing file descriptors.

It's a real PITA to have to go to the console and reconstruct the file.

-Shirl