SUMM: HP C1553A DDS-2 autoloader

From: Renaud KERIVEN <keriven_at_corea.enpc.fr>
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 1996 09:52:46 +0200

Here were my questions

> It would be great I one of you could help me solve one of these two
> problems.

> 1- I'm using a HP C1553A DDS-2 autoloader under Digital Unix 3.2D. As I
> previously read it here, it is possible to control compression just
> adding this definition to /sys/data/cam_data.c:
> /* HP C1553A - RDAT drive */
> {"HP C1553A", 14, DEV_TZRDAT, (ALL_DTYPE_SEQUENTIAL <<
> DTYPE_SHFT) |
> SZ_RDAT_CLASS,
> (struct pt_info *)ccmn_null_sizes, SZ_NO_BLK, (DEC_MAX_REC - 1),
> &tlz06_dens, NO_MODE_TAB, SZ_NO_FLAGS,
> NO_OPT_CMDS, SZ_READY_DEF, SZ_NO_QUE, DD_REQSNS_VAL | DD_INQ_VAL,
> 43, 64
> },
> Actually:
> - the loader seems to be recognized (mt returns TZRDAT, not TZxx)
> - rmt0l doesn't turn compression off
> - rmt0h causes an IO write error
> PS: underside switches are configured for compression enabled with
> host
> control (when I try "compression disabled with host control",
> rmt0l
> keeps compression off and rmt0h still causes an IO write error)

> 2- My second problem is more general: as the head becomes dirty in the
> middle of a dump, it happens that the dump aborts
> with a write error. It that case, the DAT tape seems to be definitely
> unusable: loading such a tape leads to one or two retensions and an
> error, as if some important mark had been erased at the beginning
> of it.
> Moreover, I have a similar problem with 120m tapes I've formerly
> used in
> an old DAT drive: in the old drive, they were recognized as
> DDS 60m
> tapes. In the 1553A, I can't get them recognized back as DDS-2
> 120m
> ones.
> Any idea to recover those tapes?

I've only got one answer to my first question from
Jonathan.Buchanan_at_ska.com (thanx again). He was in fact interested in
getting the switch settings. Here they are:

1-2: on on -> compression enabled, host control
     on off -> comp. enabled. No host control
     off off -> comp. disabled. No host control
     off on -> comnp. disabled. Host control
  3: on -> Media recognition system disabled
     off -> MDR active.

4-8: ?. Default on.

Nothing about the second question, except than Jonathan have the same
problem with his tapes.

Any other HP 1553 user?

--
|     (-:  Don't anthropomorphize computers.  They don't like it. :-)      |