AS 500 5/266 / ThunderStorm 3D Graphics Woes

From: Brian Leverson <brian_at_aa.washington.edu>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 96 14:01:27 -0700

I recently received an AlphaStation 500 5/266 with a PBXGB-CA PowerStorm 3D
graphics adapter and VRC21-WA monitor. The system came with DEC UNIX V3.2D-1
(Rev. 41) and Open3D V3.2 installed. Since both the monitor and graphics
adapter were listed as capable of displaying at 1600x1200 resolution I set the
PowerStorm adapter to that resolution and proceeded with the DEC Unix
configuration.

Upon completion of the initial kernel build the system rebooted and the screen
was not displaying 1600x1200 resolution but 1200x1600! In other words the X11
root display formed a band in the center of the display extending below the
lower extent of the monitor with a wide black border to the left and a
horizontal white-banded border to the right. I verified that indeed X11 read
the display as 1200x1600 with 'xdpyinfo'.

I realize this video adapter is quite new but has anyone else had this
problem? I forwarded a request to DEC via DSNlink but have yet to get a
helpful reply. Is there any configuration change that I can make to coerce
X11 to display at 1600x1200?

Thanks,
--
Brian Leverson, Systems Manager
University of Washington                e-mail: brian_at_aa.washington.edu