PCL5 to PostScript conversion?

From: Christopher Stevenson <csteven_at_kelvin.physics.mun.ca>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 1996 00:54:41 -0230 (NDT)

Greetings-

Here's a quick question:

Our DU3.2c box spools for a variety of Postscript printers. It is required
that we count pages and charge users for printing appropriately. Ghostscript
can be used for this purpose, but since it's designed to handle Postscript
only, files in other languages first need to be converted. PCL5 files are
the greatest difficulty here.

The "lj2ps-1.2" PCL4 (subset) to PS-1.0 converter at gatekeeper chokes on
even simple PCL5 files; the converter was written in 1990 before either
language matured to the levels they're at in 1996, and was never written
to handle general PCL4 (bitmaps and macros, etc) let alone PCL5.

Are there more up-to-date, standalone filters that can take PCL5 files and
convert them into Postscript (1 or 2)?

Any information would be greatly appreciated. I'll summarize.

Cheers
Chris
Christopher C Stevenson C3004 (709) 737-2624
Dept. of Physics & Physical Oceanography
Memorial University of Newfoundland
St. John's, Newfoundland, CANADA A1B 3X7