Idle time reset by term output

From: <youngbloodp_at_email.uah.edu>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 1996 10:43:09 -0500

Hi,

Has anyone had trouble with user idle time being set back
to zero when a user's terminal RECEIVES output from commands
like wall, talk, new mail notification, etc?

I've got DU v3.2d-1 running on an AlphaServer 2100 model 4/200.
All our users us telnet connections. But anyone logged in at
the console (DECwindows) has the same problem. Any terminal
output to a user sets that user's idle time back to zero, just
as if the user had entered keyboard input. I've tested several
idle terminal watchers, and of course none of them ever logs
out idle users because they first send a warning message to the
user's terminal, which resets the idle time.

Digital technical support is currently stumped but still
investigating the problem. Thank you in advance for any
information that sheds light on this problem.

Paul Youngblood ---> youngbloodp_at_email.uah.edu