SUMM:root-like account

From: Javier Aida <jaida_at_gmd.com.pe>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 1996 16:32:18 -0500

Many thanks to:

Eric Bennett
James D. Zelenka
Thomas Erskine
S. Barbaresi
Hellebo Knut
Murat Balci
Antonia Gomez
Mohan Mahajan
Kurt Carlson
Mark Bentkower
alan_at_nabeth.cxo.dec
Thomas Looney
Bill Bathurst
mperlman_at_parsec.com

I was thinking to create a root-like account, or "powerful accounts". After receiveing all the responses, i can summarize:

1.DU is NOT intended to do this task, as i remember (and saving the distances), in SCO UNIX you can create accounts with different levels of privileges, which allowed to create things like an operator account, a printer operator, a backups operator and so on. I even tried to use System V Environment, but my lack of experience with this product didn't allow me to change all my environment, as the product asks.
2. You can create an account with id=0, which gives you root privileges (you can access any directory, delete, create, copy,execute and so on), but this is far from my objective, i don't want to have two root accounts. When you configure an account with UID=0, and any other GID, all the things you do, you do it with the root ID.
3. Many gurus recommended me to use "sudo", which is a fair freeware product that allows to give some accounts determinate privileges, tuned by the superuser. All you have to do is to configure a file named "/etc/sudoers", define accounts, groups, allowed and not allowed programs. This is the best solution i found, but i'm still trying to figure out other way to solve my problem. (available at ftp://ftp.cs.colorado.edu/pub/sysadmin/utilities/cu-sudo.v1.4.tar.Z)

If someone is working with System V Environment, please let me know about the experience.

Regards

F. Javier Aida Nakamo
Software Engineer - GMD S.A.
jaida_at_gmd.com.pe