[Q]: doconfig exits with error

From: Ferdinand Moser <fm_at_ivi.ch>
Date: Sat, 04 May 1996 16:38:02 +0200

Dear OSF-mangaers around the world

I tried to set up a friend's new Alpha-1000 4/266. After Installing the
hardware, we booted the Dunix 3.2D from CD-ROM and loaded the subsets we
thougt we'd need. The kernel-build exited with the following Message (from
./errs):

ld:
Error: Undefined:
ace_cons_init
ace_tty
aceopen
aceclose
aceread
acewrite
aceselect
aceioctl
aceputc
acegetc
acerint
acexint
acestart
*** Exit 1 (ignored)
chmod 0755 a.out
a.out: no such file or directory

After that we tried to comment out different options in the conf-File (like
LDTTY, STREAMS, ATM, PCKT) thinking they could refer to ace_cons, ace_tty,
aceopen and so on. It still exited.
As a next step we loaded all of the developper-subsets from the BASE-CD, but
it still exits.

Back in my office I compared the './errs' with one of a running 3.2C-Box and
found out, that the error occurs while the system tries to load vmunix.sys
(after having rm -f'd it and before it moves a.out to vmunix.sys, which seems
to be the usual way according to /sys/hostname/errs on the running box?!?).

Have you ever seen this before?
Is there any undocumented dependency in the 3.2D-Subsets.
Did we forget to load a certain subset?
How can I get some better debug-information about the 'Undefined:'?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TIA - Ferdinand
\\\\ Ferdinand Moser - Bundesamt fuer Veterinaerwesen ////
//// Internet: fm_at_ivi.ch Tel: 031 323 85 25 \\\\
| Mamas don't let your babies grow up to be cowboys... |