SUMMARY: NIS Decwindows Session Pause Passwords

From: Pidgeon, Phillip <PPIDGEON_at_omc.otis.utc.com>
Date: Wed, 08 May 1996 08:53:00 -0700 (PDT)

Sorry for not replying until now but I though I would verify the patch
received from
DEC just today before I spend the news.

Yes, I had received details from Miguel Mena (DEC Switzerland) of a Dec fix
quote:

"The fix is a replacement binary for ...
/usr/bin/X11/dxpause and /usr/lib/X11/uid/DXpause.uid."

which I believe should be available via our local DEC office.
It seems to work as far as I can test it.

Best regards,
Phil Pidgeon
OTIS Engineering Center - Penang Malaysia
ppidgeon_at_omc.otis.utc.com

 ----------------------------------------- Original posting
Hi,
Since Ultrix times I have noticed that the Decwindows pause password often
only accepts the root password when some users use the pause function. At
one time, I noticed that if say a number of different users had the same
uid,gid then the pause function would use the first uid,gid it found in the
local passwd file.

Now when using NIS on DEC UNIX 3.2c, I find similar issues where users
cannot use their own password to return from a paused session on
workstations. Does it only use the local passwd
file or does it recognize the NIS database?

Can anyone clarify for me the current process of establishing the password
for a paused session while using NIS?

Regards,
Phil Pidgeon
ppidgeon_at_omc.otis.utc.com