SUMMARY: Polycenter Net View security

From: Marcelo Beltramo <m_beltramo_at_sonda.cl>
Date: Thu, 9 May 1996 12:10:47 +0300

Well, I've got the solution in a few hours.
This list rules!

Thanks to:

Gerhard Nolte gnolte_at_gwdg.de (I found it out! See below.)
Stuart Davidson stuart.davidson_at_eurocontrol.be (You're right, I didn't check
                                                 the whole information.)
Rob Clark siegel_at_zko.dec.com (Thanks! Your mail is very complete.)

who answered my question.

THE PROBLEM:
***********

How to configure security in Polycenter Net View.

My original question was:

> Hi:
>
> Maybe this question is not related with D.U. but, who knows?
> I am running Polycenter Net View 4.1a with D.U 3.2D-1 and I'd like to
> turn security on.
> If I run manualy /usr/OV/bin/nvsec_admin, the option "Security
> Administartion" is grey.
> If I modify manualy the flag in /usr/OV/security/conf/sec.conf
> the Net View cores.
> Does anybody do it?
>
> Thanks in advance.
> Marcelo.

THE SOLUTION:
************

DCE MUST be installed and configured to implement security in Polycenter Net
View.
It is documented on "POLYCENTER Manager on Net View Installation Configuration
Guide - Chapter 5" although the rest of the documentation is ambiguos about it.
I could not test it because of the license, but it is expected to work.
Thanks again.

The answers:

> [...]

> Install the DCE client on each machine running PNV base and
> PNV clients.
>
> 1. Install DCERTS130 Runtime services
> DCEECO132 DCE Runtime Services V1.3.2
>
> PAK: DCE-RT-SVC
>
> 2. Use /usr/sbin/dcesetup to configure the client
> The defaults are fine
> When asked to log in to the sec-admin group, use the
> cell_admin account created during the configuration of
> the cell on the DCE server.
>
> Accounts
> --------
> 1. Setup user accounts for the cell
> From either the DCE server or client.
> Log into cell_admin account
>
> dce_login cell_admin
>
> Note: to help keep the /etc/passwd and /etc/group files
> in sync with the DCE you can use passwd_import
> to transfer Unix accounts to the registry.
>
> Hint: Create passwd and group files containing all the
> accounts and groups for DCE environment and put the
> passwd and group file in some directory, then:
>
> passwd_import -d dirname
>
> Root account is a treated specially by DCE I believe,
> so no need to establish the root account. Login to
> a user account and su to become superuser and run PNV.
>
> Create entries for NetView security server daemon
>
> rgy_edit
> do principal
> add nvsecd
> do account
> add nvsecd
> ktadd -p nvsecd (this command must be run on DCE client
> that is running pnv. It creates a password
> in the local keytable for the daemon.)
>
> Repeat the ktadd command to add the key (password) for nvsecd
> on each PNV client so that the PNV client security daemon
> nvsecltd can get it.

> -----
> Valid ways of logging in for DCE/NetView
> Use the login command from the UNIX prompt:
>
> # login
> login: clark
> Password:
>
> # nvauth (Username admin, default password admin, group SrAdmin)
>
> or # pnv (which will invoke nvauth automatically)
>
> Note that exiting the GUI will perform a logout, forcing you
> to invoke nvauth to login again if you want to use PNV
> commands from the UNIX prompt.
>
> You must be root to start the PNV daemons. I do this by logging
> into my DCE user account on the workstation, run the "login"
> command to get the DCE tickets and then su to root.
>
> You can login in to NetView and run the GUI from root in this way also.
> If you want to login to NetView from a DCE user account without
> su'ing to root, then until the next release you need to make one
> alteration for this to work.
>
> DCE user accounts must be members of the group bin.
>
> As root type:
>
> # chmod 775 /usr/OV/security/cache
>
> Troubleshooting:
> ----------------
>
> If NetView login or command hangs, stop and restart the nvsecd
> daemon and invoke nvauth to login again. This is being worked

                                               {}o o{}
                 | Marcelo Fabian Beltramo e-mail
    .------- | m_beltramo_at_scomp1.sonda.cl
   / ,------ | Sonda Computacion S.A T.E.
   " " . . | Alsina 772 (541) 334-1775 334-1793
   ------' / | Buenos Aires, Argentina FAX
   -------' | C.P. : 1087 (541) 343-3561