SUMMARY: tcpdump

From: Mahendra Vallabh (Mike) <"Mahendra>
Date: Fri, 17 May 96 11:48:13 +1200

> Date: Fri, 17 May 96 09:29:17 +1200
> From: "Mahendra Vallabh (Mike)" <mike_at_phys.waikato.ac.nz>
>
> How does one get tcpdump to work??
> I am trying, what seems to me, a simple test.
>
> In one window I have:
>
> pfconfig ln0 +p # Enable promiscuous mode
> tcpdump host host.domain
>
> tcpdump: listening on ln0
> Using kernel BPF filter
>
> In another window I do:
>
> ping somehost.domain
>
> Absolutely nothing turns ups in the window running tcpdump.

First, try:
% pfconfig +c ln0 (this assumes that your network device actually is ln0)
% tcpdump host host.domain

Then ping host.domain.

You don't need/want promiscuous mode to capture traffic sent from/to your
workstation, but you do need copyall. If you want to monitor traffic not
involving your system, you will need +p but not +c.

R. Kevin Oberman
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (LBNL)
E-mail: oberman_at_es.net
Phone: +1 510 422-6955

Thanks Kevin! This is exactly what I wanted.

 /------------------------------------------------------------------------\
 | Mahendra Vallabh (Mike) |
 | Analyst Programmer/Network Administrator |
 | Physics Department |
 | School of Science |
 | University of Waikato Phone: +64 (7) 838 4208 |
 | Hamilton Fax: +64 (7) 838 4219 |
 | NZ Email: mike_at_phys.waikato.ac.nz |
 | |
 | Out the 10Base-T, through the router, down the T1, over the leased |
 | line, off the bridge, past the firewall...nothing but Net |