multiple copies print to HP printer with JetDirect card

From: chandrasek_at_odixie.enet.dec.com <chandrasek_at_odixie.ENET.dec.com>
Date: Thu, 16 May 96 17:59:30 PDT

    Digital UNIX V3.2d-1 AlphaServer 8200
    Printer HP LaserJet Plus with jetDirect card (accessed by Netware
    and TCP/IP)

    I have run into a little problem with lpr.

    I used lprsetup to set up a printer that is printing to a HP LaserJet
    that has a JetDirect card. I used type remote, gave it the printer name
    for the remote machine name (as entered in /etc/hosts) and remote port
    text. It prints fine.

    Today I discovered that when I try to print multiple copies, it prints
    only one copy. My commands were

    lpr -h -#3 -Plp101 testfile
            and
    lp -dlp101 -n3 testfile

    However, only one copy comes out each time.

    I stopped the queue and looked in /usr/var/spool/lpd01. The cf file
    shows three entries of the file to be printed. Also, when I changed
    the printcap to use another PC server (with TCP and Netware, which
    uses Netware to print) as the remote printer, I got three copies.
    This seemed to indicate that the printer could not understand the cf
    file that comes through for the TCP/IP protocol.

    Has anybody else tried printing multiple copies to a JetDirect HP
    printer successfully using TCP/IP? Your help and advice would be
    appreciated.

    My address is chandrasek_at_odixie.enet.dec.com.

    A summary will be posted.

Thanks, Kris.