SUMMARY DU 4.0 upgrade problem...

From: Scott Lipcon <slipcon_at_max.tiac.net>
Date: Tue, 21 May 1996 22:30:05 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 17 May 1996, Scott Lipcon wrote:

> Hi... I am administering a Dec 2000 system for my high school. I got the
> DU 4.0 update CDs, and spent a LONG time installing it today. It finally
> finished, and it rebooted. Everything looked all right, execpt for a few
> things. I don't remember exact errors, because the alpha is at school.
>
> 1) It said something about the disklabel for /dev/rz#x being damaged or
> missing... that disk (I forget the actual /dev file) is a 500 Mb drive,
> mounted as /extra. It mounts fine, fsck's fine, and apears to work
> fine. How do I fix the disklabel without damagin the contents of the
> drive (home directories, and /usr/local)

        Multiple replies said that you could re-write the disklabel with
no problems.

> 2) Everything works fine if I boot into single user mode, but if I go to
> level 3, X comes up. Then the pointer turns to an hourglass and
> absolutely freezes. Then it changes back to a pointer, and it brings up
> the login window, but neither the keyboard nor the mouse have any
> affect. This happens with both vmunix and genvmunix.

        After a lot of emails back and forth with Paul Henderson
<pgh_at_unx.dec.com>, I waas ready to give up and do a full install, but at
the last minute I noticed that there were two /dev/mouse files -
evidentally, DU 3.2c used /dev/mouse, and DU4.0 is using /dev/mouse0, but
the update installer didn't remove /dev/mouse! It was confusing X, I
guess. I deleted /dev/mouse, and all was fine.

> 3) with 3.2c, I got a bootup message that said something about PCXAL
> drivers, with the american keyboard set, but this message doesn't appear
> in 4.0. I am not sure if it is related to my problems with X.

I've been informed that the keyboard support is transparent in DU 4.0.

Thanks,
Scott