Password problem...

From: <rosy_at_LAGUNA.EPCC.EDU>
Date: Wed, 29 May 1996 12:16:57 -0600 (MDT)

Dear OSF managers,
        Today when I arrived to work I found that our two
DEC machines (1 VAX/VMS and 1 DEC OSF1) were down, in the >>>
prompt, I issued the command boot to make them boot. Everything
was fine, but after that, I tried to logon and I couldn't. It said
that the password is incorrect with all the accounts, and
also the root account. Days ago I have had exported the /etc from this
machine to another, now I mount /etc in the second machine and I can see
the whole information, I edited the /etc/passwd file to erase the
passwords from all users and to have access with no password
but the DEC OSF tell me the same thing:
login: rgonzale
Password:
Login incorrect

Wait for login retry ...

Login incorrect
login:

        Why if I modified the /etc/passwd (exported from the DEC
and mounted in another machine) the modifications didn't
take effect, evenI exported it with root access.

        I also restore the /etc/passwd file that I backed up
yesterday of the DEC machine and save it in the the mounted
subdirectory but it didn't take effect.

        It's very urgent to me to have access to the DEC machine.
I'm very worried about it because someone is taking adventage
of it. Any suggestions or ideas will be appreciated a lot.