4MM, 8MM, DLT tape 'bpi' values

From: Shirley Chrisman <Shirley.Chrisman_at_asu.edu>
Date: Thu, 30 May 1996 13:51:47 -0700 (MST)

Hello folks,

Can someone please help me determine the appropriate
'bpi' value when using 4MM, 8MM and DLT tape. Whenever
I ask around about this, I get varying figures, and
it seems to be a guessing game. I'd like to figure
out the real value I should be using, not a guess-timate.

For example, what bpi do I use if I am using a 90 meter
tape (for a 4MM DAT tape drive) so I can plug in this value
when running /etc/dump.

The tape info tells me I have a tape length of 90M/295 ft.,
and a recording density of 61,000 FTPI. Given these values,
how does it translate into bpi?

Thanks always for your help,

---Shirley Chrisman
Arizona State University