limit memory usage..

From: Murat Balci <balci_at_bornova.ege.edu.tr>
Date: Fri, 31 May 1996 09:36:28 +0400 (EET DST)

Hi,
Yesterday I have meet with a nasty thing. One user (I dont know how!)
run du command (I think from / ) many many times (As far as I count from
lastcomm over 300 ! yesterday) As you can gues this made machine crazy.
uptime was >146(this was the bigest one I have ever seen!) It took many
minutes to login from root and kill the process of this user. Of course
this machine is a multy user machine and many user done noting during this
time.

        Now, how can I prevent next *mad* users from doing so. I can
simply put a line to /etc/csh.login and limit memoryuse,vmemoryuse or
cputime parameters but easyly one can change these easily. Can you give me
some clues about that ? How can I prevent one from doing so ?
Sincerely.
murat.

----
Murat Balci	UNIX sys. Admin	  http://bornova.ege.edu.tr/~balci
s-mail : Ege Universitesi B.A.U.M - Bornova, IZMIR, TURKIYE.
e-mail : balci_at_bornova.ege.edu.tr   Phone :+(90)(232)3881080-253