UUCP problem, OSF3.0, direct line.

From: Mark Davies <mark_at_Comp.VUW.AC.NZ>
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 1996 18:09:45 +1200

The situation:

I have and alpha running osf3.0 and a linux box connected from serial port to
serial port via a null modem cable and have configured UUCP to allow calls
from the linux box to the alpha.
If I cu from the linux box I can login as a normal user and I get a shell and
everything works fine. If I cu as the uucp user (or equivalently run uucico
to call from the linux box), I get the login and password prompts but never
see a "Shere=..." -- everything just hangs at that point. A uucico is
certainly running on the alpha.
If I telnet into the alpha and login as the uucp user I do see the "Shere=...".
So what is different about the direct serial line? And how can I fix it?

cheers
mark