Security - How to catch a hacker...

From: Information Systems <thlis_at_bpc.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 1996 11:20:56 +1200

We are running a Alpha 2000 4/200 over a network running TCP/IP and Netbeui.
The Digital Unix Version is 3.32c.

The problem is this, I suspect that I have a intruder that has shown up in
the last week. I have one modem line in that is used for servicing and
switch off and on as required. The first question is, Can I attach a printer
to that modem or line to record the keystrokes that anyone over the modem
may be making?

Other than that, having only been in the game a couple of years, is there
anything else obvious I should look for in the system that may have been
modified or altered by an
intruder.

I guess this is a fairly open question, just a few tips and pointers would
help. How have other managers dealt with security problems in the past?

Thanks in advance...

Ian Apperley
System Administrator
Tairawhiti Healthcare Ltd
Gisborne
New Zealand
Ian Apperley
Systems Administrator
Tairawhiti Healthcare Ltd
Gisborne - The California of the South, check us out on the Web...
           http://www.bpc.co.nz/
New Zealand