Halt button does not halt CPU on AlphaStation 600 series

From: Marcel A. Bernards <bernards_at_ecn.nl>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 1996 12:44:26 +0200

Hi DU mgr's

I have a AlphaStation 600 Workstation (PCI) with a irritating problem

I hardly can get into Monitor SRM mode with the halt button

This system has both a Reset and a Halt button, and according to the docs
The halt mode should be visible on a LED. The LED goes on pushing the Halt
button, but it just resets the machine and reboots, just as the reset button does.

Sometimes after a reset I can hold on Control-C and interrupting the boot
initialization, but not always.

How can I enable the HALT button funcion properly
Is this normal on 600 ?
Should I let it repair by DEC or is it an unknown
monitor variable ?

I don't think I want/need to enable auto-action = halt , Do I ?

Marcel Bernards, UNIX & Net sysadm Netherlands Energy Research Foundation ECN
(and SURFnet IC/ICP), Phone: (+31 /0)224 564579 Fax: (+31 /0)224 561864
E-Mail: Bernards_at_ECN.NL, SnailMail: P.O. Box 1, 1755 ZG Petten
SCREAMNet : AAAAAARGHH!HUH?? : Disclaimer: "The AntiChrist is the Internet !"