What are your needs for more unique user IDs in Digital UNIX?

From: Dr. Tom Blinn, 603-881-0646 <tpb_at_zk3.dec.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 96 17:19:29 -0400

We are evaluating a customer request (actually, several requests) to
increase the number of unique user IDs supported by Digital UNIX from
the current limit of essentially 64K (a 16 bit unsigned value) to some
substantially larger value (over 1 million, most likely).

We know we could do this for a future major release (call it V5.0 for the
sake of argument, and assume it might be over a year away), but we need to
understand the customer need for doing this sooner.

If you are running Digital UNIX systems in an environment where you need
support for more than 65,000 unique user IDs, please send me mail with a
brief description of your environment (including, if appropriate, a list
of other vendor systems with which you need to interoperate), as well as
a brief statement of the relative business impact on you of having this
support sooner rather than later.

I will collect the messages and pass them along to product management to
be used in evaluating the urgency of making the changes. If there is a
clear customer requirement, we may be able to make the changes sooner.

Thanks in advance for your input..

Tom

 Dr. Thomas P. Blinn, UNIX Software Group, Digital Equipment Corporation
  110 Spit Brook Road, MS ZKO3-2/U20 Nashua, New Hampshire 03062-2698
   Technology Partnership Engineering Phone: (603) 881-0646
    Internet: tpb_at_zk3.dec.com Digital's Easynet: alpha::tpb

  Worry kills more people than work because more people worry than work.

     My favorite palindrome is: Satan, oscillate my metallic sonatas.
                                         -- Phil Agre, pagre_at_ucsd.edu

  Opinions expressed herein are my own, and do not necessarily represent
  those of my employer or anyone else, living or dead, real or imagined.