biff and NFS exported mail directory

From: Christophe DIARRA <diarra_at_ipno.in2p3.fr>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 1996 18:34:56 +0200 (MET DST)

Dear managers,

I have a problem with mail notification. I use NFS to export the
/usr/spool/mail directory located on our NFS server. On each
NFS client, the user's MAIL variable is set to /import/mail.

On the NFS server, when biff is set to yes ('biff y'), users are notified
when there receive a new mail. On the NFS clients, notification works only
when using X based notifiers (xbiff, coolmail, tkpostage). Setting biff
to yes or no changes nothing.

Is it possible to be notified by using just 'biff y' on a client ? This
is very usefull when working from a VT100 terminal.

Thanks in advance.

Christophe.

***
Christophe DIARRA