RIS-Installation of DU4.0

From: S.Hergeth <hergeth_at_f7axp1.informatik.fh-muenchen.de>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 1996 11:06:43 +0200

Hi DU-Managers,

this week i've got my copy of DU4.0.
Yesterday i've tried to install DU4.0 on a client-system via RIS from
our Server (DU3.2D-1), but this completely failed.

ris cannot find any subsets on the CD, even if you try to extract a
subset with setld -x, the setld-command gives you a list to choose
which subset should be extracted, but then it cannot copy the subset

# setld : cp /cdmnt/ALPHA/BASE/OSFBASE400 : file not found

On the CD (labeled DU4.0 May 1996) are all the required subsets missing.
In the directory ALPHA/BASE the only file is a directory named instctrl,
but there are no subsets like OSFBASE400.

All CD's before (e.g. DU3.2C) have a structure like this

 ALPHA/BASE/instctrl (Installation Control)
 ALPHA/BASE/OSFBASE350 (Compressed Data)
 ALPHA/BASE/ ...... (other OS - Subsets)

Instead of this the DU4.0 CD contains a complete UNIX-Tree of DU4.0

 /dev
 /usr
 /bin
 etc ...

I have called our local customer support, but i,ve got no answer yet
(maybe DU4.0 is still too new in Germany).

My question to all managers who have installed DU4.0 sucessfully :

Does the directory-structure of your CD looks like this or are there
any differences. Maybe i am a "lucky one" and got a BETA-Release or
something like that.

TIA

   S.Hergeth (hergeth_at_f7axp1.informatik.fh-muenchen.de)
   UNIX - SystemManager
   Fachhochschule Muenchen
   FB Informatik/Mathematik
   D-80323 Muenchen