How to upgrade from 3.0A to 4.0 ?

From: Maurice Steyvers <steyvers_at_ica.rulimburg.nl>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 1996 13:51:00 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi,

As far as i can see there are two possible ways to upgrade from
3.0a to 4.0:

1: Use the upgrade installation and go from 3.0a -> 3.2 -> 3.2C -> 4.0
2: Use a custom installation of 4.0 and restore the local changes of the
   3.0a version.

A problem with method 1 is that i don't have enough free disk
space in the / partition to do an upgrade from 3.2c to 4.0. A workaround
for this would be to enlarge the / partition (/dev/rz0a) by decreasing the
swap partition (/dev/rz0b) and do a restore of the 3.2C root filesystem
on the, now larger, root partition. Together with the aprox. 2 hours for
each upgrade step this method would take 7 to 8 hours.

A problem with method 2 (custom installation of 4.0) is that i'm not
sure that restoring some local changes in e.g. ADVFS filesystem (/etc/fdmns)
layout and C2 security files (/tcb) will work.
For example restoring the /tcb directory structure together with the
/etc/passwd file should be enough to return my system to the previous
state. But DEC can/will not garantee that it will work and that my users can
still login with their old passwords.

Question.

I would very much like to hear any comments, experiences about which
of the two methods will be the best. In general any suggestions about
upgrading to 4.0 are welcome.

Thanks,

Maurice Steyvers
Univ. of Maastricht