SUMMARY: Question on another old problem

From: Eugene Chu <chu_at_musp0.Jpl.Nasa.Gov>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 1996 15:27:36 -0700

Many thanks to the folks for responding to my question. I had a problem
with my system running out of pty's (with just 4 users eating up 32 pty's!)
and could not remember the procedure to create them, and could not locate
the correct archive site. I did check the man pages for MAKEDEV, which
indicated the procedure is to use the PTY_# designation to create oodles
of pty's, but I wasn't sure if those were the same types of devices as
what the O/S install procedure created. Thanks to the following for
clearing it up with some good explanations and answers:

Jo Knox <fxjwk_at_aurora.alaska.edu>
Mark Glidden <glidden_at_pobox.harvard.edu>
Dave Cherkus <cherkus_at_UniMaster.COM> wrote:
"Richard L Jackson Jr" <rjackson_at_portal.gmu.edu>
rembado_r_at_decus.fr (REGIS REMBADO - BOUYGUES TELECOM)
"Mitch Bertone" <mbertone_at_gtech.com>
Dr. William Bennett BENNETT_at_MPGARS.DESY.DE
Walter Alpuin <WalterA_at_bufalo.coasin.com.uy>

I won't repeat what they said, since a lot of it is in the archives.
But if anyone wants details, you can email me. The simple answer is:

% cd /dev
% MAKEDEV PTY_#

where # is some number from 1 to 9, and each invocation creates 23
pty's. (Kind of a strange denominatin.) The default kernel has 256
built in.

Also, the archives can be found at: