Additional hard drives for a DEC 3000/500

From: Robert Lowinski - Civil Engineer <>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 96 15:02:08 EDT

We have a DEC 3000 Model 500 workstation in our office with 2 RZ26 hard
drives installed. We want to add an additional internal hard drive (around
4 GB) to the system. I know the easy way out is to get a RZ29B-EJ Drive
(4.3 GB) from Digital, but they were quoting me a price of $2200. I know
third party (ie Seagate, etc...) drives can be added at a cheaper price
than going thru Digital. My major concern, however is ease of installation
when it comes to a third-party hard drive. I dont want to get a hard drive
from some third-party company and be stuck on the phone with tech support
and find out it does not work. Can anyone out there give me any words of
wisdom and/or past experiences in terms of what is available for my
particular system from manufacturers like Seagate, Quantum, etc.., how easy
it is to install one of those drives, and general installation tips and
tricks. Also, does anyone have any good recommendations on vendors that
they have had success with in the past when it came time to get additional
storage from third-party companies like Seagate, Quantum, etc...

Thanks to all in advance

Rob Lowinski
robert.a.lowinski_at_usace.army.mil