Question: EBCDIC / ASCII

From: Tim Householder <houseti_at_diamond.mcclellan.af.mil>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 1996 17:55:24 -0700

Please help me solve a raging debate going on at my site.
We are FTP'ing files from an Amdahl computer (no problem).
We obviously want the files in ASCII format (since we are taking
the files and loading them into an Oracle database).
The Amdahl programmers tell us there is no such thing as
an ASCII file on an Amdahl and the ftp is automatically
converting the EBCDIC file to ASCII when we ftp it to our
Alpha (DU 3.2c).

I'm telling them "it ain't so, the file is ASCII on the Amdahl".

Anyway, I'm looking for some answers (so I be humbled or beat
them up)

1. Does FTP "know" the diff character sets and convert
        on the fly?

2. Are there any DU utilities to convert EBCDIC chars to
        ASCII? (In the event the Amdahl people want to get nasty
        and only make EBCDIC files available to me).

Now, I am already pulling files down from other subsystems on
the Amdahl and they are ASCII, plain, simple, no debate. So
I know the Amdahl can spit out ASCII files / characters.

Am I off base here? Does FTP convert for me? Can I convert
files from one char set to another?

Any help would be appreciated. Send me mail and I'll summarize
(in case anyone is interested).

Thanks!

Tim

please send responses to houseti_at_sm0101.mcclellan.af.mil