SUMMARY: disktab entry for Micropolis 4421-07 needed

From: Jerry Winegarden <jbw_at_oit.duke.edu>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 1996 17:59:07 -0400

The answer is simple: under OSF (nee DU), you don't need one.

Use /sbin/disklabel and it will create it's own!!!!

Specifically, use the following command:

/sbin/disklabel -rw rz# Micropolis4421

where # is the SCSI ID number of your drive (you may need to do a MAKEDEV rz#
first) (e.g. rz1)

        and where the label Micropolis4421 is what ever you want it to be!

You can always check to see the labelling info on a drive by typing:

disklabel -r rz1 (or whatever your drive). If there is labeling info there,
        it will display it, along with the partitioning info.
        (just like chpt -q for us old unix folks...:-)

If you need to "unlabel it" before you "relabel it", then try:

disklabel -z rz1 (or whatever your drive is)

(I knew to use disklabel to actually format the drive, but I thought you
needed a pointer into a disktab entry. The man page on disklabel doesn't
make that very clear!)

Thanks to Jason Heyd, jheyd_at_lycos.com for his extremely prompt and correct
answer!

Oh, I forgot to quote the original question! Here it is:

I need a disktab entry for a Micropolis 4421-07 2 GB disk drive.
Thanks!

Jerry Winegarden OIT/Technical Consulting Duke University
Room 127A North Building Research Drive Durham, NC 27708
phone: (919)-660-6911
pager: (919)-970-4270
fax: (919)-685-8651
e-mail: jbw_at_ac.duke.edu