RAID 5 set up

From: <rem_at_MATH.AMS.ORG>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 1996 08:16:51 -0400

Hi everyone,

I hope this question does not seem too basic for this list,
but I am having a hard time visualizing how I am going to
set up a RAID 5 on a currently running machine. First, here
is how I thought I would do it:

        write all filesystems to tape (advfs)
        use standalone utility to create a RAID 5 (currently JBOD)
        write filesystems back to disk

My question is: Where are the filesystems now?

I am fairly new to RAID, so maybe I am just missing the basic concept.
I am under the impression that I could take 3 (4 gb) disks and put them
together to create the RAID, which is a single virtual disk. Right? If
this is true, then how do I mount a filesystem onto the RAID? Since it
is a virtual device now, there is no longer the device defined in the
/dev directory.

Also, while going through the RAID standalone manual, there is a section
on creating Logical Drives. This is where I thought I would be creating
my "filesystems" but there was no mention of it.

I will be setting this up on an alpha 1000, running DU 3.2. I have 3 4gb
disks to create the RAID 5. In (or on) that RAID 5 I want to put two
existing advfs filesystems (currently this:

Filesystem 1024-blocks Used Avail Capacity Mounted on
eps3#dsk3 4193280 2710230 1279008 68% /dsk3
eps4#dsk4 4193280 3073391 850640 78% /dsk4

I am embarressed to be so confused about this. I know there are people
out there who have implemented this, so I know it can be done.

Thanks is advance for your responses.

Bob Morse
System Administrator
American Mathematical Society