need to rebuild operating system -- how to handle advfs

From: James E. Sitkoski 048 <jim_at_avon.cmis.abbott.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 1996 10:30:09 -0500 (CDT)

We have run into a serious problem with our system.

Last night we tried to change the name of the system and the ip address. This went fine. However after we rebooted, we began seeing a host of problems:

One mistake we made was not changing the host used by LSM. Eventually we fixed this. (Why LSM cares about the host name seems amazing)

Problems:

Cannot telnet in:

telnetd: terminal is not a typewriter

inability to write to /dev/console when we went to runlevel 3.

If we went up to run level 3 the X-windows console applications started fine
but you could not type into the decterm windows.

After a long conversation with digital support they came to the conclusion that
something is corrupted. They recommended a reinstall.

I guess at this point I have two qustions:

1. Has anyone seen this before? Is salvage possible?

2. We use advfs and hsz40 for most user files. Obviously, we don't want to lose this data. Can we just restore the /etc/fdmns directory and rebuild the device files and mount the filesystems

Any Help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Jim
|James E. Sitkoski              | E-mail: jim_at_avon.cmis.abbott.com           |
|Abbott Laboratories	        | VOICE:  708-937-4932			     |
|100 Abbott Park Road	        | FAX:    708-938-5172                       |
|Department 048, Building AP14B | DISCLAIMER:  My opinions are my own. I     |
|Abbott Park, Il.  60064-3500   |              do not speak for Abbott       |