Adding 4.3gb Quantum to StorageWorks

From: managers account <managers_at_mannet.mcb.net>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 1996 11:10:32 +0100 (BST)

We are having problems adding the above disk. Our objective are:

a) install on shelf 3 in scsi storageworks
b) see that drive is recognised with show device at chevron level
c) reboot so system will continue to serve internet users
d) check with 'monitor' program that rz2 is still there
e) create special block files for partitions a and b with mknod
        mknod /dev/rz2a b 8 2048
        mknod /dev/rz2b b 8 2049
f) disklabel -r -w /dev/rz2a 81HB (where 81HB is the info shown on the
sho dev command as the packid)
g) disklabel -e to change the partition sizes to a - all disk except 1gb
and b - 1gb as swap partition 2
h) newfs rz2a to be the new data2 partition
i) add two entries to /etc/fstab
        /dev/rz2a /data2 ufs rw 1 2
        /dev/rz2b swap2 ufs sw 0 2
j) swapon -a
k) mount /data2

Items a to d appear to be O.K. and e) did not give any errors and ls
/dev/rz2* shows rz2a and rz2b. However the command could be wrong if we
have the wrong parameters.
It falls over at f) with the error:
        /dev/rz2a not character device

Can you please tell me which parts of this procedure we have got
wrong. The more detail the better and the summary should then be a
useful guide to others adding extra non-DEC drives.
Incidentally, you will note that item f has the disk pack identity at
the end of the line. Many list users have said in the past that you
can put 'junk' there. When we added a Micropolis last year you could
NOT put anything other than the packid or whatever the info at the end
of the line on the sho dev command at chevron level shows you.

THankyou
Stuart McKenzie