SUMMARY: DU 4.0

From: Darryl Cook <pgmr_at_PPALF.APPSTATE.EDU>
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 1996 09:06:38 -0400 (EDT)

thanks to the following for their observations about DU 3.x vrs DU 4.0.
I hope I didnt leave anyone out, if so I apologize.

Peter Beerli <beerli_at_genetics.washington.edu>
David Shrewsbury <shrewsbu_at_chief.niehs.nih.gov>
Carole Thompson <carole_at_callutheran.edu>
bremner_at_cs.mcgill.ca

It appears from most conversations that the upgrade to DU 4.0 is pretty painless. Most of
the applications that are on 3.2 will pretty much work as is although some suggested
that they had to recompile things like gcc under 4.0. Most people like the new face
that comes with 4.0 saying it is much easier to do things like adding new users and just
taking care of sysadm tasks in general. I clipped out some of the most interesting and
helpful suggestions from all the responses that I got. I tried to limit them to just the
most important. If anyone has specific questions they would like to ask of the people who
wrote the comments, let me know and I will e-mail you the message that was sent and you
can get in touch with them.

-Desktop went completely graphic (CDE) , it looks now almost like windows
some of the tools are nice and some are awkward,
-Administration tools seems to make it very easy to administer the machine now.

There are some functional changes and additions in V4.0 that you might want,
like the CDE common desktop and the ability to use Netscape to read online
documentation. On the other hand, most of the functional things are pretty
much the same from the user's perspective. There is nothing in V4.0 that is
more "64 bit" than what was already in V3.2C or V3.2D.

You may want to check that your firmware is up to the proper revision
before upgrading your 1000 to 4.0. You should have version 3.5 in
order to load 4.0.

The second major warning was about trying to installupdate when rz0a (/) was
less than 100 mb in space, and rz0b (primary swap) was less than 300 mb. I
have a 2 gb disk with the standard partitions of a (65 mb,b (200mb),g (.75
gb),h (.75 gb). I will have to repartition a, b and at least g to larger,
non-default sizes, reinstall 3.2c onto the larger paritions, and *then*
installupdate to 4.0.

we had to recompile the following:
gcc, gdb, dvips, xdvi

Over all, for us it was a twofold improvement, even so I said bad things about the CDE it
is definitely an improvement over the poor environment of 3.0 (which was indistinguishable
from 3.2 as far as I saw), and we can use our newly aquired harddisk (rz28d) which did not
work with 3.0.

thanks for your help, it looks like I will be spending a weekend at work now :-)

later,

Darryl

Darryl Cook | e-mail -- pgmr_at_ppalf.appstate.edu
Applications Programmer II | phone -- (704)-262-3190 x107
Appalachian State University | fax -- (704)-262-4017
265 Dale Street |
Boone, NC 28608 |