Loggins hanging on DU 4.0

From: Ray Lauff <ray_at_thunder.ocis.temple.edu>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 1996 10:48:06 -0400 (EDT)

We recently experienced a problem with telnet login connections to a DEC
Alpha 2100 running DU 3.2.

There were many login processes in a WAIT state (indicated by 'top').

A connection to the system looked like this
-----------------------
% telnet thunder
Trying 155.247.166.100 ...
Connected to thunder.ocis.temple.edu.
Escape character is '^]'.

OSF/1 (thunder) (ttyp1)

login: ray
Password:

Last successful login for ray: Wed Jul 31 08:21:11 1996 from hialeah.ocis.tem
Last unsuccessful login for ray: Thu Aug 1 10:01:09 1996 on ttyw0

-----------------------

When I opened another window and did the same 'telnet' command I got the
SAME exact "Last successful" message as above. That is, the time of
the last successful login was identical.

After about 2-3 minutes the system cleared and all the hung logins began
to execute the login script and I got my Unix prompt.

It seems like perhaps the system was updating a database of login times
and it was locked, then once the lock was cleared things starting moving
again. BUT, I am wondering if there is any way I get find out WHY login
had this strange behavior (it had our Help Desk people jumping up and down).

I will summarize any answers to the list.

Thanks

Ray
--
Ray Lauff : ray_at_thunder.ocis.temple.edu : (215) 204-5678 : Temple University