SUMMARY: Getting X running on Internet Alphaserver 1000 4/266

From: Derrick Miller <phuture_at_fred.net>
Date: Mon, 05 Aug 1996 23:33:44 -0400

As noted in my last message, I just received an Internet Alphaserver 1000 4/266 which I couldn't for
the life of me get to come up in X-Windows. With the help of Lance at Digital support, I finally got it
working. Here are the steps that I believe to have fixed it (this is under DU 3.2f):

        1. Ran the EISA Configuration Utility from the diskette enclosed with the system. (Halt the system
        and type 'runecu' at the SRM prompt.)

2. In one of the ECU menus (I think it was #5) I enabled the VGA graphics adapter, saved changes,
      and exited.

3. Rebooted with the generic kernel by typing 'boot -fi genvmunix' at the SRM prompt.

4. Ran 'doconfig' which, according to the Digital rep, will generate a new kernel for you based upon
      the devices/controllers that the generic one detects when you boot with it.

5. I renamed my current kernel for safekeeping. (mv /vmunix /vmunix.old) and put the new kernel in
       it's place (mv /sys/SYSTEMNAME/vmunix /vmunix), rebooted, and lo and behold, it came up in
      graphical mode.