httpd errors after rereading srm.conf

From: Lisa Triplett <triplett_at_forum.swarthmore.edu>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 1996 12:04:31 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

I'm working on an AlphaServer 1000/266 running DU 3.2C. NCSA httpd
sometimes has problems after being forced to reread its' config files
with kill -1 pid. The problem seems to happen when changes have been
made to the magic mime types section of srm.conf (although we haven't
kept strict track of exactly what was done before each occurence of the
problem-- it has happened about 3 times). I know this is a new and possibly
buggy feature.

The symptom is that after the restart, anyone accessing our server with
Netscape to load or reload a page gets the error message "Document
Contains No Data" and is unable to complete the transaction. Other
Browsers do not seem to be affected in this way. We have found no
solution so far other than to reboot the machine, after which the problem
is gone.

If anyone else has run into this problem, or has any ideas about what
might be going wrong, I'd appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks
for your time and consideration!

Lisa Triplett
System Administrator, the Math Forum
Swarthmore College