SUMMARY: DLT 4700 Autoloader for DU?

From: <mclaughl_at_nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 96 14:03:00 -0400

DU Gurus,

 Sorry about the delay on closing this.

 Original Question:

> We recently purchased a Quantum DLT 4700 (7 DLT stacker).
> However I'm having a tough time of finding any software that
> will load and unload the DLT tapes for DEC Unix. Has anyone
> found software for this? Many thanks in advance. I'll
> summerize.

 Thanks for all your responses:

 pault_at_mailhub.wpl.com
 alan_at_nabeth.cxo.dec.com
 rockwell_at_rch.dec.com
 janes_at_signal.dra.hmg.gb
 belonis_at_dirac.phys.washington.edu
 GRANDLE_at_acodbob.larc.nasa.gov
 bouchard_l_at_decus.fr

 Final solution: The "mt offline" command that rewinds and ejects a
 tape will mount the next one in a DLT 4700 stacker. This is really
 all the functionality we need.

 However, here's a summary of more robust solutions:

 Solution #1

        I don't know if it will work with your DLT stacker but on our DEC's
 TZ877 stacker (which might be quite the same since the DLT standard used to be
 DEC's propriety).

         Here we use CAM Medium Changer Driver V3.0 from DEC (CLCMC300) to
 manipulate our loader. I'm not sure at all that it will work with your type of
 H/W but in examples that DEC supplies, they list other type of stacker than
 their own.

 Solution #2

 The Media Robot Utility available from Digital, may work
 with this drive. While it isn't in our list of supported
 drives (tested), if it closely follows the SCSI-2 Medium
 Changer specification it should work. The part number
 for the media and license is QB-50TAA-SA. Since this
 particular drive isn't supported, you should arrange to
 test the software before buying it.

 Solution #3

 Grab the "loader-stuff" file from moocow.niehs.nih.gov. It is a utility
 program that controls a TZ877 tape drive loader using cam. There is also a
 library of cam routines. Should get you going...

Steve Mc