SUMMARY: Automatically Logging Users Out

From: Darryl Cook <pgmr_at_ppalf.appstate.edu>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 1996 14:35:16 -0400 (EDT)

I got a lot of responses very quickly. Thanks to all who responded. It
seems that this question was asked a little while back, before I found
this list. Most responses contained what the following article does,
which was forwarded by Clifford Krieger. Thanks Clifford for passing this
along.

I asked a similar question about 2 months ago. I wanted to kill off idle
processes. You may find my answers useful, then again mabey not.

-cliff

Set environmental variables:

 csh and tcsh
     set autologout=60
     where 60 represents the number of minutes if inactivity.
 ksh and bash
     TMOUT=3600 ; export TMOUT
     where 3600 represents the number of seconds of inactivity.

 Worth of note, but I am dealing with sophisticated users who would disable
 this in a heart beat.

Comercial products:

 Computronics sells a product called Logmon that analyzes cpu usage to
 establish inactivity. This apperantly prevents eroneous logoffs during
 long operations. I received one sales pitch and one testominal. It sounds
 like a good product, but perhaps more than we need since we are looking at
 a 5 day time-out interval.

use idletime:

 idletime is a nifty little perl script writtne by Kent Arnott.
 See http://www.tamucc.edu/~karnott/idletime.html for a copy.

 Kent deserves special praise for his selfless assistance in answering a few
 questions I had. Had idletime not come along, I would have used his
 product.

use idlekiller:
 idlekiller is used by my alma mater, GMU. It was written by Phil Farrell
 of Stanford. I found it to be available at most of the Linux ftp sites
 including ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/system/Admin/idle
 Richard Jackson of GMU had some reservations about its efficency because it
 makes extensive use of awk, but then again, I am not running a system with
 20,000+ students.

use idled:
 Ken Brown recommended this program. It is a daemon process that is
 extremely versital. It can be configured on the fly. The only problem is
 with notifying users on DUx systems prior to killing the process.
 Apperantly DEC has a small problem that cause the notice to be sent, but
 then the process isn't killed. I seem to recall that there is a patch for
 wall, but I haven't tried idled with that. I just took the recommended
 approach and disabled the feature.

 This program is fantastic. It compiled on the first try. It commes with a
 sample configuration file that has about 10 lines of configureation and
 about 200 of comments. It comes with configureations for most of the
 common systems. It can be confiured to base its decisions on I/O or user
 input. You can vary the privledges among different groups. And finally,
 it seems to get regular updates.

 I have compiled an run the daemon on 3.0, 3.2-3, and 3.2c systems. My
 next target is HP-UX 10.01.

 More information can be had at:

  http://www.cs.hope.edu/~crider/idled/

-cliff

Darryl Cook | e-mail -- pgmr_at_ppalf.appstate.edu
Applications Programmer II | phone -- (704)-262-3190 x107
Appalachian State University | fax -- (704)-262-4017
265 Dale Street |
Boone, NC 28608 |