Suggestions needed with Digital's multimedia service

From: <acar_at_ee.umr.edu>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 96 16:39:08 -0500

I am trying to set Digital's multimedia service on an AlphaStation 400
4/233 running Digital UNIX V3.2C (Rev. 148).

As I understand from the manual page, I need to start the multimedia
server as root by the command

        /sbin/init.d/mmeserver start

and be able to run `alphavcr' and other multimedia programs.

This process works, when I have the root privileges. However, as a
user when I start the alphavcr program, I get the error:

        ThreadInit: Pthread_create failure: Not owner

during the selection of a mpeg file. From this error message, I
couldn't figure out what type of ownership I need to have in order to
create the necessary thread. It seems like the users have the read
privileges for all the files I can imagine.

The possible error conditions listed for the `pthread_create' routine
are lack of resources and lack of memory. Since, it works for the root
account, I ruled out the lack of memory error. I am unclear about the
resources that this routine needs.

Any suggestions to solve this ownership problem would be greatly
appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Levent Acar --- acar_at_ee.umr.edu